Friday, January 27, 2017

♡ Real Talk... Growing Up ♡

Well well well.... Growing up? I guess I'm talking about the responsibility that comes with it rather than physical changes which would be a different post altogether. When I first started my blog I was 16. Now I'm turning 19 in the next couple months and, to be quite honest, I still have a tough time imagining me as an 'adult'. Whenever I do "grown up things" I find myself looking at the mirror, thinking "Why is a child allowed to do this?" and that's just it, I'm not a child and I cannot pinpoint when that happened.

I first became aware of all the responsibilities that came with living alone and growing up when I studied abroad. Did you know that your bathroom isn't self cleaning? Also drains need to be unclogged and if you don't do it, there's a whole other problem. Your fridge doesn't get stocked overnight? You might find yourself eating canned corn with a spoon on the couch wishing you lived next to a 24 hour supermarket. Bills have to be payed? Or your utilities can be shut down. Deadlines have to be met? Or you can fail a class or lose your job. Laundry has to be done? Or you'll find yourself going through your hamper looking for the least disgusting pair of jeans to wear (TMI, I apologize). It's a lot to deal with and having a great support system is my number one tip.

It isn't as scary as movies make it out to be... It happens gradually, you'll start taking up different responsibilities. You'll know that all those chores your parents made you do weren't because they hated you, they were preparing you for real life. Also, while we're on the subject of parents, they want what's best for you... Despite, having an odd way of showing it at times. They will love you unconditionally no matter what.

You'll know that you're changing when you go to your friend's beach house and while making eggs, you might find yourself complaining that the frypan isn't nonstick. By the way, if you don't have a nonstick frypan, invest in one... seriously... life changing... When your friends spend all day at the beach and you'll be saying things like "Don't forget to apply sunscreen" or when your boyfriend drops you off at home and you'll say "Text me when you get home safely". As you become more responsible, you'll start to cherish things more. Little things that were once overlooked.

I guess what I'm saying is growing up isn't all bad, certainly not easy but despite what your peter pan complex might say, you can't be a kid forever. Love unconditionally. Put yourself out there. What others think about you, doesn't define you. Don't waste time thinking about what could have been. Don't overthink. Have fun. Enjoy yourself. 



No comments:

Post a Comment